Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Heirloom Seeds: A Simple Breakdown

 
I wanted to write a post about heirloom seeds and why they're so great and should be the only type of seed you plant. I started to do some research to get my facts straight and within five minutes I thought my head was going to explode! The articles I was reading were full of scientific terms and were just absolutely confusing. Then, it dawned on me, this is where a lack of knowledge about food begins! Alas, my friends, I shall break down into simple terms why you should choose heirloom seeds over Genetically Modified (GMO) seeds.
 
     Last years garden
 
YOU CAN SAVE SEEDS
 
This is where other more confusing blogs would start explaining open-pollination but, I'm not because it's boring. The point is you only have to buy your seeds one time. How great is that?!?! I'll get into the process of seed saving in a later post. For now just soak in the fact that with heirloom seeds you're going to save a ton of money.
 
                                                     Baker Creek Seeds: Our favorite heirloom
                                                      seed distributor
     
 

 
THEY'RE SAFE
 
When you start comparing heirloom vs. GMO seeds all you get is controversy. One study tells you one thing and another study tells you the first is wrong. Here's my view, if you want to eat a GMO plant that's been modified to produce it's own pesticide, by all means go for it. As for me, it just doesn't sound safe and I'm convinced that these foods can only do harm to your body. Heirloom plants have NOT been genetically modified in any way. Some heirloom seeds are as old as time and they consist of the same exact genetic make up as they did from day one.
 
                                                                Heirloom tomatoes

 
HERITAGE
 
 
I love knowing that the plants in my garden are the same plants that we're grown for generations. Heirloom plants have a history and it fascinates me. Who knows, some of the fruits and vegetables that I harvest could be the same ones that were laid out on the first Thanksgiving. Or maybe some of my own ancestors sowed these same seeds. When you plant heirloom seeds you're preserving a piece of history.
                                                                  Heirloom corn
     
Once upon a time food was simple. People planted seeds that provided nutritious, natural, chemical-free fruits, vegetables, and grains. In an effort to grow bigger and better crops as quickly as possible, we've filled our food with all kinds of toxins. If you sow heirloom seeds into your garden you can rest assured that your harvesting pure, simple food. Happy Homesteading!

No comments:

Post a Comment