Friday, March 28, 2014

Introducing New Birds To Your Flock

Adding new birds to your existing flock can be stressful for the newbies and original members alike. With my "look-but,-don't-touch" technique you can greatly reduce the amount of stress to your feathered friends. I've added chickens, ducks, and turkeys using this method without the slightest problem.


The little guys

The "look-but-don't-touch" technique is simply allowing the original flock members and the newbies to see and hear each other without any physical contact. You can block off an area of your coop or run or like me you can set up an outdoor cockerel\pullet keeper. Since my birds free range I have the keeper set up right in the middle of the property. The big guys are able to scope out the new members all day.

 The pullets\cockerels in their outdoor pen
 
How long you implement the "look-but-don't-touch" technique depends on age and size. When I added two adult turkeys to the flock I kept them separated for about a week and a half. I introduce chickens when they are 12 weeks old. By this time they are large enough to protect themselves should a scuffle ensue.
 
 
There are two things that I can't stress enough when allowing all of your birds to mingle for the first time; supervision and knowing your flock. You must supervise the first few introductions! This way you can act as a referee to any rough housing. Now, as for knowing your flock, by this I mean only you know if you have a pushy hen or an extremely dominate rooster that will need to be watched closely. As for me, I have a Langshan roo with a bad attitude and one very territorial tom turkey. These two need more time to adjust to any new members. For the first few mingle sessions I actually hold my angry rooster. This allows him to get closer to the new guys without being able to spur them.
 

My cranky Langshan
 
 

 My tom is VERY protective of his hen
 
 
There will be some pecking, this is a natural way for your birds to establish order within the flock. Only intervene if there is incessant pecking or injuries. For more information on pecking order read my blog post here: Pecking Order.
 
 
When deciding when to house your flock together full time just, use your best judgment. If everyone seems to be getting along after one or two meet and greets then by all means put them together. On the other hand if some of your birds are having a hard time adjusting then wait until they are comfortable. There is no need to rush the process.
 
I really believe the "look-but-don't-touch" technique is the only way to go when adding new birds to your flock. I also know that it's not the only method so, in the comments below tell me how you prefer to add new feathered friends. Happy Homesteading!

No comments:

Post a Comment